For years, I've resisted this trend, but I finally caved to leggings. They are a better winter option than tights. They won't get snagged, they're machine washable, and they're thicker. Trouble is they're so frequently done wrong, they makes me think sloppy thoughts. Here are my personal guidelines for wearing leggings right.
1. Leggings are not pants. No one wants to see every curve of your booty. Tunics or minis please. Yes, coworker, I'm talking to you.
2. If you wear denim leggings, you are not allowed to mock anyone in a honky tonk bar. Denim leggings are just skin tight jeans with an ever stylish elastic waist.
3. Unless you have miles of legs, do not buy leggings that cut through your calf. They make you look stubby.
4. When the knees get baggy, replace them.
5. Personally, I like them best in black, but perhaps you can persuade me.
Top: ankle zip legging, Urban Outfitters $38
grey acid wash leggings, Macy's $39
colorful (9 available) leggings, Victoria's Secret $15.50 (2 for $20)
corset leggings, Slash and Burn $27.50
Bottom: snake leggings, Express $17.70
wetlook leggings, Target $12.99
black stud leggings, Urban Outfitters $48
navy velvet stripe leggings, Forever 21 $24
slashed leggings, National Jean Company $26
How do you wear leggings? Which of the above are workable and which are absolute crimes?