Here are a few tips I've found helpful in pants shopping:
- If you have a problem with pants gapping at the back, hold the pants up by the side seams on the waist band. If the back is higher than the front, they have a better chance of fitting.
- Be adventurous. Try new styles, new rises and new stores.
- Look for fits that say they solve your specific problems instead of trying on every fit in the store. Trying on every fit just makes you tired and cranky.
- Try other sections of department stores. Don't afraid to try the juniors or misses departments.
- Blame the pants not your body.
- Look for someone with a similar body shape to see what pants look good on them.
- Be on the lookout for good fits all the time so you aren't waiting to find pants until yours have fallen apart.
- If you have the money and time, get tailor.
- Shop with friends so they can offer support and talk you out of a bad purchase.
- If you find quality pants that fit, buy every color/wash. Variety may be the spice of life, but a stockpile of great pants is the foundation of easier dressing.
- "Kind of fits" is not that same as "fits". Only buy pants that fit.
- Try a theme song. Yes, it's silly. Yes, store attendants will think you're weird if you sing to the pants in the dressing room. But keeping things silly keeps me from getting frustrated when I really need to find pants.
- If all else fails, buy a killer dress. It will make you feel better.
How do you survive pants shopping? What problems do you have with fit? Where do you get your favorite pants?